If you are running an online business, you should know about Search Engine Optimization. SEO is important for generating traffic and leads, and increasing sales. One of the best SEO practices is writing great content. However, SEO and content writing is not all about promoting your business. Instead, it is about attracting quality visitors and turning them into leads on your site.
Most people think that SEO is all about writing great content and therefore they tend to forget other important things. Producing great content is certainly important but if you focus your efforts 100% on words and phrases alone, then your SEO is as good as a bedtime story.
Common SEO Mistakes to Avoid
If you are concentrating your SEO efforts on content alone, you are making a mistake. SEO is a holistic approach to web design and content distribution to make search engines rank your content high on search results. Here are some SEO mistakes most people make:
1. Doing SEO as the last step after the website has been designed and developed Search engine optimization should be done when building a website. As you develop your content , use keywords in them, assign tags to images, interlink your articles and so on. You cannot do all these when the website is already running.
2. Optimizing your website around common keywords – If you are trying to rank for the term “mortgages”, good luck with that. Optimizing your site around common keywords will expose you to a saturated market and it will take you ages and a lot of money to rank well. Consider optimizing your site for niche specific keywords that have less competition.
3. Using URLs without keywords in it – This is most common when you are using a content management system. Choose a readable URL which contains keywords or words that depict what your website is about.
4. Keyword stuffing – This is unethical and will severely affect your content ranking. Instead of using a keyword over and over within the content, use synonyms and LSI keywords. This way, you will improve the content’s ranking and attract more traffic to your site.
5. Overusing a keyword or keyword phrase in all your title tags – Pick unique keyword phrases for every title tag and webpage to improve on-page SEO. Choose a specific keyword that your customers type on search engines when looking for your product. If you rank well for your business name, there is no need to use it in the title tags.
6. Using images as headings – Search engine spiders do not read images; they read texts. If your heading is an image, use alt tags so that the search spiders can read and categorize them appropriately. Otherwise, headings should be in big block letters and inside the H1 tags and not images.
7. Sacrificing content for website aesthetics – The design of your website is important but what is the use of a beautiful site with irrelevant content? Your page will not rank for its layout but the content it has.
8. Ignoring social media – Sharing your content on social media sites is a good way to improve your search engine ranking. Today, social media and SEO are inseparable. Invite your customers to share content by including Facebook, Twitter and other social media buttons at the end of your content.
If you have a blog, evaluate it immediately to ensure it has been optimized well for search engines. Pay attention to content creation, use of keywords, link building and social media. When you do everything right, you can be sure to rank high on the major search engines.